Monday, January 22, 2018

Snow in Tokyo!

頼もう!
I am currently on a train packed to the max as I write this.  With no companion. Pretty crazy. Don't worry, there is an explanation below!

So a lot of this week was rejections and getting ignored. Then on Sunday night, we met to visit someone that Harrison長老 and I found during splits a couple weeks back; 宮本さん is his name. We expected to just follow up if he read a Restoration pamphlet we gave him, but he invited us in. He showed us his custom motorcycle seat he was making for his Harley Davidson. He sewed it all by himself. Then we talked about the pamphlet, he had many questions and we discussed for a while. We shared our experiences and felt the Spirit. Long story short, he's way prepared. We asked if we could setup another time to meet, but he declined, saying he'll just come to church on his own. He said he has a lot of interest though. We'll be praying that he comes this Sunday. 

That was the first time someone has ever let us in their house and share a message. I felt like a real missionary! Even though I know that the success of missionary work is not based on how many people accept us, but wow! I certainly felt the joy mentioned in DC 18:15. 

"And if it so be that you should labor all your days in crying repentance unto this people, and bring, save it be one soul unto me, how great shall be your joy with him in the kingdom of my Father!"

Declaring repentance to bring one soul(which also includes ourselves) back to our Heavenly Father. Be patient, work hard and results will ALWAYS come. I love this work! 

Back in the safety of the church, with my companion, I will now explain my solo adventure. We heard from many people days prior, to be careful of the snow that would come on Monday. We did all our normal P-day morning stuff like grocery shopping. It was snowing pretty lightly; we thought that was all. Then we headed over to 本部 in Kichijoji to practice some dances and songs for the upcoming Polynesian night in March. Turns out I get to use some of my talents as a drummer! A dream come true! As we practiced, the snow picked up; there was snow everywhere. As a Californian that loves snow, I was ecstatic! I ran and jumped all over the snow. Then we headed back to Kichijoji station to return home. 

Little did we know of the impact the snow had on the trains. We arrived at Shibuya, the busiest station in Japan, perhaps even the world. Many trains were stopped, leaving thousands of people in the underground station. We got jammed into a crowd. The best way I can describe it is take a bag of cereal. Every grain of cereal is a person. Now imagine that everywhere. People shoved and pushed and eventually I got separated from my district. There was a guy yelling "Chijou ni detai", or "I want to get to the surface" as he pushed me. 20 minutes later, I escaped that madness. My district was no where to be found, leaving me all alone. My companion was with the sisters so I tried to call but their phone was dead. Luckily, we made a plan to meet at home if we did get separated. I hopped on the next available train, which was just as crowded. Normally it takes about 50 minutes from that point to home but everything was delayed; it took almost 3 hours. I did get to talk to some nice people though.

I arrived at our home station around 7:30 and waited for them a bit. No one came. I walked home in about 20cm deep snow and it was still coming strong. I got to our apartment and knocked cause I didn't have keys, but no one there, neither at the sisters. I sat in front of our door and took a break. I prayed and ate some taiyaki (fish shaped desert). Then I got a call from President saying they just arrived at the station. I headed over and eventually saw them on the road and ran to them! It was 8:40! I was separated for about 4 hours so I was pretty glad to see them! We made it back safely to our apartments, ending my solo adventure. 

Today, Tuesday, we've been shoveling snow off houses, roads, and cars. It's so much fun! Have a nice week! 

-Elder Chab
チャブ長老 
愛しています(^-^)



Last Monday night's zone blitz!



My daily planner I bought two weeks ago! I'm using it after the mission too!



600 grams of tsukemen! I didn't even get close to finishing it!