Sunday, December 31, 2017

平成30年!

頼もう!

明けましておめでとう!Happy New Year! 平成30年になりました!They count the year two ways in Japan; the regular way (2018) and by a name chosen by the emperor since the beginning of his reign (平成30年- heisei year 30). 

When I received my mission call, it was stated that I was to preach in 日本語. But based on this week's experiences, I think it was supposed to be English. On Wednesday, shortly after leaving the church, we talked to a guy named Nick. He is from good ol' San Diego and he just got to Japan two months ago. He said he isn't religious but he goes to church every now and then and he's down to come to ours. After that conversation, we stopped another guy using English. He is Japanese but pretty much is fluent in English. He told said he'd like to learn more English as well as the Book of Mormon.  Thursday, we went over to the Puankhan's; a Thai and Japanese family. But they went to BYU Hawaii so they are fluent in English; they even taught their kids English.  So I have no idea if I am in Japan or the US now. 

Unfortunately I woke up with a fever on Thursday. I slept till about 1:30 then I just 頑張る'd through weekly planning after. It was pretty miserable. I couldn't eat much food at the Puankhan's cause of my headache either. We had apartment deep cleaning on Friday and Saturday so I 頑張る'd through that as well. At least our apartment is nice and clean now. Most of the fever went away by Friday, but I went through a whole tissue box that day. I don't get sick, but when I do, man, does it take a toll on me. 

On Saturday night, we visited the 高村家族. They have 7 kids. Lots of conversations going on at the dinner table. Reminded me of my family dinner. Unfortunately my companion and I made the mistake of eating before we went to their house because we didn't know they were gonna feed us. We ended up eating double dinner that night. I love the 高村s so much though! We shared a message about conversion and it went great. 

As we were planning on Sunday morning, I looked outside and to my surprise, it was snowing! Lightly and not very long, but it was awesome to see. I love the cold, especially with snow. 

I picked up a Japanese Liahona the other day and randomly read an article. Then I read something familiar. 「とにかく泳ぎ続けるんだ」or "Just keep swimming". Yup. Good ol' Finding Nemo. It doesn't matter if I've taught more English class lessons than the gospel. It doesn't matter if I haven't gotten a baptism yet or found anyone on the mission. I don't speak perfect Japanese yet either. The only thing I have to do is "Just keep swimming". Because we have the Savior, we CAN keep swimming, no matter what.  And as the new mutual them declares, there is Peace in Christ. At this new time of year, I invite you all to take a look back on the past year and determine at least one thing you can do better and "just keep swimming". Thank you everyone for another fantastic year. Be safe and have fun!


-Elder Chab
チャブ長老 
愛しています(^-^)



Puankhans!