Tuesday, March 21, 2017

TRANSFER 4! THE GOSPEL IS LIKE KIMCHI!!

皆さんこんにちは (^o^)/
This week was packed full of amazing experiences! On Friday, we had a conference with Elder Choi (General Authority Seventy). I learned so much from Elder Choi. And the best thing is that they all have a connection to one another. 
His first remark "Don't hide your talents" stood out especially because he related it to music. Prior to the mission, I loved to play music. I had many opportunities to perform in front of others, whether it be alone or in a group. But I was never afraid; in fact, I felt happy by watching others enjoy my talent . The same can be done with the gospel. We must be excited to share it. A talent doesn't have much meaning if we keep it to ourselves. 
Another thing I learned is that we should strive to simplify our lives. God knows what is best for us and has provided us a way to achieve that. We need not look elsewhere for guidance. If overthink/complicate things, we will "miss the mark". The stress created from overcomplicating things will cancel out some of the blessings we could have received if we didn't question anything and just follwed God's counsel. 
Third, we need to give everything a go and get out of our comfort zone. From past experiences, I know that by getting out of my comfort zone, I opened the door to many more opportunities. Now I just have to keep doing that. I feel like I hit a plateau this past transfer and didn't grow as much as I could've. I won't let that happen again. One of the biggest parts of repentance is growth so if I want to truly repent everyday, I have to grow each day by stepping out of that comfort zone.
We must also do these three things in order to progress, strengthen our conversion, and prepare for the future:
1.Study scripturesan/PMG everyday
2.Pray with sincere heart
3.Have confidence; Learn from mistakes, be grateful,and do your best
By sharing our talents, simplifying our lives, getting out of our comfort zone and doing those three things, we can find joy in the gospel and we'll be blessed more than we can imagine! I know that is true! (*^_^*)

During the conference, Elder Choi said we should strive to love the culture of the place we serve in. For example, part of Korea's culture is a dish called kimchi. It's basically spicy pickled cabbage and you eat it with rice. He said most people that eat it for the first time don't like it because it is spicy and has a strong smell. He then gave the advice "If you don't like something, like it!" "The more you eat kimchi, you will like it!" "The gospel is like kimchi. Some people won't like it  or may have no interest. But the more they are invited to hear about it or as they take more lessons, they will grow to understand and like it." I haven't been in Japan for too long but I know that is true!
Now about loving the culture. He mentioned that if missionaries are doing their best to be one with the people around them, people will open up. I've experienced that and I can say it's true. When first meeting people here, whether they be members or random people, because we are foreigners, they will often ask "Do you like natto?" (Natto is basically fermented soy beans and it is part of Japanese culture). I actually do like it so of course I say yes! And when I say yes, they get super excited and open up to more conversations! I can testify that as you strive to be one with the culture, you express your love for the people and you will be given many opportunities. 

Saturday was exciting! We had river cleaning again, which was great! Then we had Indo curry for lunch, in anticipation for transfer calls. However they didn't come until dinner time; President Warnick was quite busy this week with Elder Choi's spectacular visit. とにか,I am...........transferring.....kinda!!! So I am staying in the wonderful area of Kawasaki. However, we are moving to the other apartment. My area, Kawasaki C, is closing. Gutierrez 長老 and I are splitting up, but we'll be in the same apartment. Gutierrez 長老 will be training a bean(new missionary)! Schow 長老 is staying in Kawasaki as well and he will be my next companion! 紺野長老 is done with his mission so he is going home! Bradford 長老 is going to Kamiooka and Morris長老 is going to Yamato! Also, we are getting sisters! To姉妹 is coming to Kawasaki and will be training as well. Instead of 6 elders, Kawasaki will now be 4 elders and 2 sisters! Yay transfers! (*゚▽゚*)

Instead of P-day yesterday, we went were asked to do baptismal services at the temple! I won't get into too much because it's lengthy to explain; sorry to my nonmember readers ('ω') But it was such a blessing to go to the temple, especially twice in one transfer! After we got back, we tried to make cookies to give to members as an expression of gratitude...But we baked them a little too long and they became crispy (T . T)
Today(Tuesday) became our P-day instead. It rained pretty much all day so we didn't do much. But we are currently making more cookies. This time, we got it right. They are amazing! I feel so exhausted though. That's okay because working hard is great! 
I hope all of have a fantastic week! If you don't like something, like it! またね! 

-Elder Chab
チャブ長老 or 茶武長老
愛しています^_^



Chef Chab is back! I made my grandma's mint chicken!



We visited one of our PI's this week, Kapil! Sadly he isn't interested in learning more :(



Another splendid trip to the temple!