Tuesday, November 22, 2016

JAPAN IS AMAZING

皆さんこんにちは!!! ひさしぶり!!
So much has happened! I wish I had more time to describe everything. First off, I am going to the Tokyo Temple today. When ever we go to the temple (which is once a transfer), our P-day is switched to that day. So technically I have P-day today instead of the usual Wednesday. Also, this transfer is 4 weeks instead of 6 weeks; this is so that no one has to travel around Christmas time. I am currently on the train typing this. It is super crowded; there is no room at all and we are all squished together lol

Now to sum up what has happened within the last week and a half. We didn't have any problems at the airport. However, while taking luggage off the bus, I twisted my left somewhat-still-sprained thumb back in to place by accident; to put it shortly, its back to normal and I can move it again! とにかく(Anyway), our flight was about 13 hours. We met the President Warnick and his wife. We took a coach bus to the mission home (which is in Kichijoji); it took about 2 hours.  After we arrived, we filled out some papers for our residency, had a short meeting and then went to bed. We were dead tired, especially because Monday and Tuesday were basically fused together due to our flight. 

On 水 (Wednesday), we woke up early and ran to a park close to the mission home and at some point, everyone in the park was doing aerobics together. It was fun and interesting. I also saw Heartshorn 姉妹 and Sumison 長老 (they were my dai senpai in the MTC). We had a lot of training meetings; budgeting, cleanliness, using pamplets etc. We then proselyted for an hour; I went with Battaglia 長老. It was hard because no one really stopped to talk with us. But towards the end, we found 2 college students who were interested. I didn't understand much nor did I talk much but I did my best. We then ate spicy soba noodles at a restaurant and then came back to teach 英会話 (English class). It was suuuper fun! 

木 (Thursday) was quite interesting. We finished up with a few more training meetings. Then we met our new companions and got our areas. My companion is Elder jödicke (ユディカ長老)。He is from Germany! He also loves music and plays the violin! We got assigned to the Shonan area. It is kinda close to the beach. I said my last goodbyes to the mission home and my MTC buddies. Then we went on our way. We took a 1.5 hour train ride to Hiratsuka Station. Then took a bus to somewhere by our apartment. My companion hasn't been to this area so we didn't know anything at all. We got what is called "white washed". After walking around for about 45 mins, someone came to help us and we found the apartment. We live with another companionship, Elder Ayala and Elder Gilbert (He was my dai senpai in the MTC). We ate dinner and then settled down before going to bed.

Since we are new to the area, we have to start over. We don't have any investigators at the moment. So we do a lot of street contacting. We might have two investigators by the end of this week. Two young men were interested in what we had to say so they gave us their contact info and we'll be checking up on them every now and then.

I had some money issues for a couple days. I wasn't able to withdraw anything over a certain amount from my personal bank account. Which was a problem because they charge a small fee for international banks and I couldn't keep doing that. I needed money to buy a bike; and thankfully I finally got my money issue fixed. I still don't have a bike though. My companion hasn't gotten his bike delivered from his last area yet so we are waiting for that before we go buy mine. So we've just been walking everywhere and taking the bus and train every now and then. We have to be careful with how much  we spend.

On 金 (Friday), one of the new members hosted a sweets party. A few people from the ward came to the church. He made us chocolate cream; it was so good! It's a fairly simple recipe; he wants to become a professional chef. 

日 (Sunday), we went to church. Its about a 20 minute walk from our apartment. All the members are so nice! Some even speak English! But I still didn't understand much during the meetings. After church, we ate lunch together as a ward. The food was amazing! I tried a lot of new foods. The ward mission leader is Brother Nagai; he is so energetic! He's the best! ユディカ長老 and I went with Nagai兄弟 to take the sacrament to two members. It was a good experience; I used to do that back at my home ward. 

It isn't easy, especially without a bike. Hopefully we get them soon. Also, we had an earthquake this morning!! とにかく, I won't give up. The Lord is my strength and I know he will help and guide us. I'm so happy to be here in Japan and serve a mission. I encourage everyone that is able to serve to go on a mission. I haven't been out for long but I know this is something I'll remember for the rest of my life. See you in a week! 愛しています!
-チャブ長老


District 5B and our teachers! Waddell 姉妹, Chau 姉妹, and Strauss 兄弟


Last MTC Zone picture!!



At the mission home with our new trainers!



My trainer Jödicke 長老 



The ward mission leader, Nagai 兄弟 during our sweets party! 


The view from the apartment