Thursday, September 8, 2016

Hello everyone!

Before I get started, let me introduce myself. My name is Wanchai Chab for those that don't know me. I grew up in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I go to the Park Ward in the Long Beach East Stake. I am half Thai and half Cambodian. I have lived in California all my life but I had the opportunity of visiting Thailand and Cambodia several times. I was in band through out elementary all the way to high school. I play many instruments including clarinet, piano, and I was also in drumline for the last 3 years of high school. I'm also a computer nerd and I love video games. I graduated from Bellflower High School in June 2016. Most importantly, I love the gospel, Jesus Christ, and our Heavenly Father. That's why I have chosen to serve a mission!

I always knew I was going to serve a mission since I was a kid. But I think what helped me truly realize that was my 9th grade Geography teacher, Mr. Thompson. I remember one day in class, we were learning about leaders of different religions. Then I saw a picture of Joseph Smith and Brigham Young. I rose my hand before he could talk about them and said "That's Joseph Smith and Brigham Young!" He responded, "Yea, how did you know?" I replied, "I'm Mormon!" And he said, "No way! I am too!" I thought it was so cool to have a Mormon teacher. Every now and then, he would talk to the class about his mission; he went to Japan! It seemed very interesting to me and that's when I started wanting to serve a mission in Japan. Mr.Thompson, if you're reading this, thank you so much!

I sent in my mission papers around late June. I received my call about 3 weeks later, on July 16, 2016. I wanted to open it sooooooo bad, but I decided to wait until the 19th, so the ward could witness it. Although I was hoping for Japan, I was ready for anything because I know it is what the Lord wants. Boy was I surprised when I found out I would be serving in the Japan Tokyo South mission! The fact that I got what I had my mind strengthened my testimony even more. I'm so excited to serve our Heavenly Father! I report to the MTC on Sept. 14; but my flight is on the 13th. I'll be spending some time with my family in Utah before I leave. Anyway, be sure to check once a week on this blog, I'll do my best to update it each week. If I can't that week, just know that I am having fun serving the Lord!

Here are some pictures from my mission call opening!


My sister, Melody, and I along with my band director and the band members who came!


Melody, Me, and Sister Altier (My 9th grade seminary teacher)


My childhood friend Jacob Gutierrez (he wanted us to pose like this)


New convert Al Sayh and his wife


Brother Becker!


My parents along with Brother and Sister Sao


Bishop Thomson!


My band buddies! Justin, Diane, Andres, Jesse, and Alex!